Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Dad

 

Before I move on to another Christlike attribute I would like to slip a quick post in here in regards to Father's Day coming up on June 19th. I would just like to write for a bit about my own dad Russell Neilson. My dad is the best, to put it simply. I truly couldn't have asked for a better dad. I have become the person who I have become because of him and how he has taught me and how he has lived his life. My dad would literally do anything for me, even if he didn't really want to. He always made sure to do whatever it took to make me happy. I have always been provided for my whole life, whether it was food, shelter, clothing, or even sporting equipment and attire. Ever since I can remember my dad has been up early in the morning to make me breakfast before school. Something which I now deeply appreciated cause I love his cooking. My dad has been a wonderful teacher to me. Whenever I needed help in school, he was right there to help me find the answers. He was a great coach and mentor. I absolutely love sports, my whole life has revolved around sports and my dad taught me how to play and get better in my athletics. He pushed me to my fullest potential  even when I may have whined and complained. He knew how good I could get and I am very grateful he did push me to become better. 
     There are so many more things I could go on about my dad and how he has blessed my life, but most importantly he has been the best example to me in living his life like our Savior Jesus Christ. My dad is the most kind, and loving person out there and I have seen the love he shows for my mom, my brother and sisters, the people he served in our ward as a Bishop and all the people around him. Throughout my life I have always seen my dad studying from his scriptures so he could teach me the ways of the gospel. He made sure we had family prayers, and family scripture study, and family home evenings to help strengthen us kids and help us gain a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Sure there were times we as a family slacked, but that was us kids' fault cause we tended to again whine and complain. But I am so thankful that my dad did push to make sure we had the spiritual times as a family so we could know how to become more like Jesus Christ. Forgive me if I sound like I am rambling, there is just so much to talk about my dad that I will be forever grateful for. I am who I am today because of the example my dad set for me and I appreciate him and allowing me to be a part of his wonderful family here on earth. I love you dad and thank you for EVERYTHING. Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Dustin, this is Dave Peterson. I hope your doing well out on your mission!! If your working hard and following the rules its a great blessing!! I totally agree with you about your Dad!! He greatly blessed the lives of the Peterson family when he was Bishop. We love him and your family!! Keep working hard my friend and the blessing will come your whole life through. Just like President Hinckley said on his mission, I echo also. "Everything good that has happened to me in my life, I can trace back to the time I dedicated my life to the Lord on my mission." It is SO true.

    ReplyDelete