Saturday, June 9, 2012

Baseball and the Game of Life




     Many people who know me, know that I love the game of baseball. Most of my growing up life has revolved around baseball; from Little League, to Tournament Teams and on up through High School. I love everything about the game, maybe that's why its one of my favorite sports....
     Baseball is an interesting sport. There isn't a lot of contact and action like there is in football and basketball. People say that baseball is "slow, boring and nothing happens". However, many people don't know how much you actually have to be doing while you are playing. They say baseball is 90% mental and 10 % physical. Hence the reason people think not much goes on. A LOT of mental aspect goes into the game! 
     You must constantly be thinking about what you are going to do when action happens. You never know when something is going to happen so you always need to know ahead of time what you are going to do with the ball! If you are ready and on your toes, when the action does come, you will successfully execute the play! That's the key, being prepared and ready, for you really don't know what's gonna happen on the next pitch. If you aren't ready, then games can be lost. 


     The game of baseball is a lot like the game we are all in, the game of life. I have learned a lot of life lessons from playing sports, which I appreciate all my coaches who helped me see that life isn't just all about sports and you can learn a lot from sports about how to be successful in life.  But what I wanted to focus on for a moment is how if we are prepared, ready, and "on our toes", whatever comes our way can be dealt with successfully. Part of this life is to be tested and we are tested in SO many different ways. If we do what we know to be right and prepare ourselves for life's challenges, we can "execute the play" and find joy in our journey through life!
     We must always be on the look out. It says in the Book of Mormon "if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not" (Mosiah 4:30). I know that we do our best to follow the example of our Savior Jesus Christ, we will win the game of life and make it back to the presence of God, our ultimate goal!







6 comments:

  1. Yes Dustin the game of life mirrors baseball in so many ways!! Thanks for the lift today. I love it!!!!!! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dust, it is so awesome that you can look at life in this way because sports has been your life and this is a great anaology. And yes you have had great coaches to help you to see and live this important part of life. Thank you for sharing your testimony of this, and do remember to enjoy your journey and make every at bat count. I Love You!! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirt this is awesome, you can be my lead off hitter in baseball and in life, Love ya look forward to seeing you soon. Love Bishop/Coach Walker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coach Walk I'll give my all everytime! Thanks for always being such a great example in all you do! Love ya too and I'll see you in pert near one week!

      Delete
  4. What a great analogy! I wish I would have known about your blog sooner--I just got finished reading some of your past ones and really enjoyed them. The Wilsteads can't wait to see you in a few weeks! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Sis. Wilstead you're awesome! Yeah a blog comes along with us being online missionaries, pretty neat. Glad you've enjoyed some of my blogs! I'm super excited to see all you guys too! Love ya too and I'll see ya soon! Thanks again

      Delete